Wednesday, August 16, 2023

An open letter to Jordan Peterson.

Dear Dr. Peterson:

I admire your work. I do not worship you or credit you with improving my life, but I do admire you. This is largely because I love the way you make your detractors look foolish and your critics look incompetent and misguided. Mostly, though, I like you because the people who loath you are typically people who I feel are deserving of my loathing. I smirked when I wrote that, but it is true. Those who hate you are enemies of truth, logic and humanity itself and, therefore, my enemies.

That said, I have a question for you.

I would first refer to two incidences where you were engaged in public discourse.

In one case, you were on a panel and a female member of the audience asked something about making a difference in the world. You responded by saying that people need to make sure their own house (lives) are in order before trying to change the world. She didn’t like that.

Second, you were involved in a debate with some black, race-baiter who called you an “angry white man”. In response, you asked him how much, precisely, in percentages, would your success be attributed to your skin colour – 50%, 60%, 70% (I am paraphrasing).

So, my question, combining these two viewpoints, is: How much, precisely, does a person have to have their lives in order before getting involved with matters that involve the community and humanity? 80%, 90%, 100%?

Certainly, a person’s life is multi-faceted and it is not a simple matter to judge whether, in total, one’s life is in order. For example, a person could be happily married but financially challenged; or successful financially but in a marriage that needs work; or, be financially secure, have a wonderful happy family but the bed is unmade, there are dishes in the sink and dust on the furniture; or maybe the house is clean, the person is happily married with a boat load of money and no debt, but inexplicably depressed.

You see where I am coming from with this. If we were to take the many elements that make up a person's life, we’d need a spread sheet to track exactly the degree to which their life is “in order” and then extrapolate, based on an established set of standards as to whether he/she is worthy of going out into the world to support the public causes that they deem important. Some people may never deem themselves worthy even though the causes they would champion desperately need people to fight for them.

For example, maybe a person’s life needs improvement, but the local school is forcing trans ideology down little children’s throats. Should that person, then, stay at home and try to figure out what is wrong with their personal lives to the exclusion of fighting against the indoctrination of small children? Or maybe a person wants desperately to have their voice heard in defense of freedom and bodily autonomy.

Personally, I wouldn’t care what a person’s non-criminal, personal travails were as long as they were fighting against far-left, globalist, marxist ideologies (God knows, the monsters who are trying to destroy our societies will be fighting for their evil objectives regardless of their personal situation).

I, therefore, wonder whether it is advisable, in these troubled times, for anyone to delay standing up publicly for what is right for any reason. Too much self-reflection and not enough public action could yield some pretty horrific results.

I hope I made some sense there. You are beacon of hope in what is becoming an increasingly lost world. Love and kind regards to you and yours.